Introduction

Hey, you found me and my world of thoughts! congrats :) prepare yourself for lots of foody related thoughts, peeks at gifts I make and my general ramblings. On a more personal note, I used to Follow Slimming World but now I have switched to Paleo. Still waiting on my cave woman outfit. I hope you stay a while and enjoy!

Friday, 10 May 2013

Mexican Cinco de Mayo Celebration! Arriba arriba!

Title translates:
Mexican 5th of May Celebration

Cinco de Mayo—or the fifth of May—commemorates the Mexican army's 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (1861-1867). A relatively minor holiday in Mexico, in the United States Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage. 

If I had my way, everyday would be a Mexican Celebration, I just looooove Mexicano :) that is why I was so excited to be given the opportunity to participate in this recipe challenge.

Here is the amazing pack I received from Discovery

*Fajita Dinner Kit (8 Flour Tortillas, Medium Salsa & Fajita Seasoning Mix)
*Cajun Season & Sauce Jar
*The Brand NEW Garlic & Herb Soured Cream

I could not wait to start cooking and to give these a taste. Now all I had to do was wait until the 5th of May.

I waited through Saturday......very patiently........

and then ARRIBA! it was Sunday, time to spice it up!

*****
Here is my recipe I created using some of the contents of the kit. 
I shall name it.....

Meat Free Mexican Stuffed Pepper with Mexican Rice Salad
Firstly please stay with me through this recipe, do not be put off by the 'meat free' statement. I have begun a healthier eating regime and I have been investigating alternatives. This did strike fear into Mr LTs as he enjoys his meat and I mean REALLY enjoys his meat, so I did see the look of terror on his face when I revealed the Quorn Mince from the freezer. I am very happy to say he survived the meal, enjoyed the meal and then went back and finished off what was in the pan! result!


Perfect for a summer lunch, stick with me we shall have a summer, if this fails, Mexico shall have a new resident. This would also be great to have at a barbecue, again sun maybe required...oops!

The Ingredients
*Quorn Mince, 
Discovery Cajun Season & Sauce Jar
Discovery The Brand NEW Garlic & Herb Soured Cream
1 Large Onion
2 Juicy Vine Tomatoes
Long Red Peppers (1 pepper makes 2 servings!)
Spring Onions
BabyCorn
Kidney Beans
Brown Rice
and a side salad - I used Iceburg Lettuce with grated Carrot.

Now lets sizzle......

 Dice the Onion and lightly fry in some Frylite

Add half the bag of Quorn Mince and cook for 2-3mins

Using the Cajun spice blend that is on top of the Discovery Jar sauce sprinkle in and smell the Mexican aroma!

Stir in well until all spice blend is mixed in

Chop the 2 Tomatoes and add to the mix

 Such a beautiful red colour

Then add the Discovery Cajun Sauce from the jar, just pour, how simple!

and leave to simmer for about 10 mins whilst you prepare the pepper for filling.

Slice the pepper length ways and take out any seeds

Spoon the Mince mix into each half of the pepper

Sprinkle with some Cheddar Cheese or you could use Mozzarella 

Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until cheese has melted and pepper has softened slightly.

ooooo yum!

Serve with some brown rice, mixed with Red Kidney Beans, Sliced Babycorn and spring onions
and place the stuffed pepper on a bed of salad.
Drizzle some NEW Discovery Garlic & Herb Soured Cream over the top!

and last but not least......ENJOY!

***********************************
To finish off the Mexican celebrations we tucked into the rest of the kit and of course it had to be done.....we had Fajitas!
We regularly indulge in a Fajita Fest, it is a dish which holds very special memories to us. The night Mr LTs proposed we had been to our favourite Mexican Restaurant!
In the past I have used another well know brand of Fajita Spice mix but I have to say that the Discovery Fajita Spice Mix that came with the kit really impressed me. The colour it gave the chicken was so rich and smelled delicious so I will definitely be changing to Discovery for future. See for yourself>


****
I would like to say a huge thank you to Discovery for letting us join in the Mexican Celebrations with such yummy food!

****


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...